The IDF spokesman informed on Friday, Av 1st 5772, July 20th, 2012, that the Month of Ramadan shall begin and be marked by the Muslim Palestinians across Judea and Samaria.
Following the recommendation of the Chief of the General Staff, Major-General Binyamin (Benny) Gantz, and as part of the policy seeking to improve the fabric of life of the Palestininan population in the region of Judea and Samaria, the Minister of Defense has approved to implement the following facilitations during the holidays:
1. Authorization for the entry of Palestinians who are residents of Judea and Samaria for Friday prayers and “Lilat Al Kader” in the Temple Mount will be given to men and women without permits and above the age of 40. For men and women between the ages of 35-40, permission will be given based on permits.
2. Authorization for the entry of Palestinians into the Temple Mount, on week days, with a quota of up to 5,000 residents during the days of the Ramadan.
3. The granting of permits for family visits in Israel for persons of first and second degree of kinship, including companions up to the age of 16.
4. Authorization for the departure of Palestinians abroad through the Ben Gurion Airport (a quota of 200 certificates).
5. The granting of permits for strangers from abroad for visits in the Judea and Samaria region through the Allenby Crossing (a quota of 500 permits).
6. Extended activity hours at the Rehan and Jalameh Crossings until 00:00.
7. Authorization for the crossing of Suahara and Sheik Saad on Fridays through the crossings at their residence areas
The Allenby terminal will be reinforced with manpower so as to enable the departure and entry of believers during the holiday. Likewise, due to the heat load during this period of the summer, a medical team will be put on alert and light beverages will be distributed among the visitors. Furthermore it has been agreed that the terminal shall remain continuously open at night and between Wednesday and Thursday, due to the increased number of visitors.
The Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories, Major General Eitan Dangot, updated senior official of the Palestinian Authority about a series of facilitations and gestures for the holidays. Likewise, officers of the Civil Administration provided information and explanations to the Palestinian population and also briefed all the forces active in the field about holiday dates and customs, including the distribution of info leaflets.
The soldiers were guided to demonstrate extra-consideration to the inhabitants, including abstaining from eating, drinking and smoking in public to the extent possible, putting an emphasis on the crossing points and watchful and considerate driving.